Located just 70 miles south of St. Louis and known as “The City of Tradition and Progress,” Farmington is a community of tree-lined streets and friendly neighborhoods with a strong local economy and excellent school system.
Mineral Area Regional Medical Center (MARMC), a 135-bed, general acute care hospital located in Farmington, Missouri, is accredited by the Health Facilities Accreditation Program (HFAP) by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA). With over 100 physicians on the medical staff, MARMC offers a wide range of inpatient and outpatient services, including 24-hour Emergency Services, Intensive Care, Medical/Surgical care, and OB/GYN. Other services include Diagnostic Imaging (X-ray, CT, MRI, Mammography, Ultrasound and Nuclear Medicine), Rehabilitation (including Physical, Speech and Occupational Therapy) and Laboratory Services. The hospital’s Outpatient Center provides a comprehensive range of surgical and diagnostic services. Home Health Services are delivered by an expert team of registered nurses, therapists, social workers and certified home health aides.
First established in the late 1790s, when the area was still under Spanish rule, Farmington combines a bustling business environment and a healthy, diversified economy with the traditional values of hometown America. As the seat of government for St. Francois County, Farmington also serves as a regional shopping center, with over 35 restaurants, department stores and specialty shops.
The city’s Civic Center features an indoor pool and fitness center, indoor track, basketball, volleyball and tennis courts, and a Water Park for summer fun.
Mineral Area College, located in nearby Park Hills, is a two-year fully accredited community college. Jefferson College, just 40 minutes from Farmington, offers both two-and four-year degree programs.
Southeast Missouri is a paradise for outdoor enthusiasts. There are 10 state parks just a short drive from Farmington, offering a wealth of opportunities for camping, fishing, ATV riding, hiking, horseback riding, backpacking and rock climbing. For golfers, St. Francois Country Club offers an 18-hole 6,568-yard course. Crown Pointe Golf Club, 7,069 yards in length, features bent-grass greens and a community of luxury homes.
Listed as one of America’s Top 10 Greatest Adventures by National Geographic, Bonne Terre Mine is the world’s largest fresh water dive resort, featuring visibility of over 100 feet year-round. The Missouri Mines State Historic Site, located in nearby St. Joe State Park, features a 19,000-square foot mine-mill powerhouse that now serves as a geological and mining history museum. The park’s 8,238 acres also includes a 2,000-acre off-road vehicle (ORV) riding area. Farmington Civic Center offers an indoor track, lap pool, recreation pool with a two-story water slide, a fully equipped gym and concert center and an outdoor water park.
Local Points of Interest
- Bonne Terre Mine – the world’s largest fresh water dive resort and listed as one of America’s Top 10 Greatest Adventures by National Geographic
- St. Joe State Park – encompasses 8,238 acres that include a 2,000-acre off-road vehicle (ORV) riding area
- Missouri Mines State Historic Site – a geological and mining history museum with 19,000-square-foot mine-mill powerhouse
- Southern Missouri Winery Trail
- St. Francois County Raceway
- River float trips
Distance to Major Cities
- St. Louis, Missouri 72 miles
- Cape Girardeau, Missouri 80 miles
- Jefferson City, Missouri 150 miles
- Springfield, Missouri 200 miles
Population: County – 61,611 / City – 15,800
- Average annual rainfall: 41″
- Average snowfall: 13.3″
- Average low temperature: 42°
- Average high temperature: 65°
The Farmington area offers the following activities:
- 10 state parks offering camping, fishing, off road/ATV riding, hiking, picnicking, horseback riding, rock climbing and backpacking).
- Eagle Lake Golf Club
- St. Francois Country Club
- Service Clubs including Rotary, Lions, Kiwanis and many more
- 12 city parks including a sports complex and skate park
- Farmington Water Park
- 35 restaurants
- 6 hotels
- Farmington Community Civic Center and Centene Performing Arts Center
- Antique and craft malls
- Churches representing most denominations
- Average household income: $47,185
- Average cost of existing 3BR home: $100,000
- Average cost of a 2BR apartment: $450
- State Income Tax: Yes, 6%
- High Schools…………….8
- Middle Schools …………6
- Elementary Schools…..14
- Day Care Centers …….20
- Mineral Area College
- Jefferson College
- Central Methodist University
For more information on Farmington, log onto www.farmingtonmo.org