The History of Mineral Area Regional Medical Center
Mineral Area Regional Medical Center was opened June 17th 1952 and was called Mineral Area Osteopathic Hospital. The original hospital had 30 patient beds and had surgery, obstetrics, and X-ray. The first expansion of the hospital happened in 1968 and expanded bed capacity to 81. The expansion added a new surgery suite, new expanded X-ray department, dietary department, administrative offices and visitor’s lobby.
In 1972 a new wing opened adding 70 beds, bringing the total capacity to 117. While additional bed space was one of the reasons for the expansion, additional medical facilities and expanded treatment areas were equally important. In addition to the patient rooms, were a new inhalation therapy department, a new physical therapy department, new pharmacy and a chapel. This renovation included construction of a basement and one-story addition. The basement floor was used for laboratory, physical therapy, pathology and warehouse services. Also there was the addition of the Dr W.A. Rohlfing, Intensive Care Facility and the Dr W.D. Morris Department of Radiology. In 1978 a 40-bed, 2nd story was added on the 1972 addition, along with a new 8 bed Intensive care Unit, 2 patient lounge areas and a new dietary department.
In 1987 Mineral Area Osteopathic Hospital changed its name to Mineral Area Regional Medical Center. Also in 1987 a professional office building was constructed across Weber road to house specialists on the hospital staff. In 1993 the Ancillary building is completed that housed dietary, cafeteria, a physicians’ lounge, the maintenance department, a 4,610 sqare foot laboratory, a 3000 square foot physical therapy department, cardiac rehabilitation, pathology, administration, medical records and human resources.